Finding the right modifier ID in a japanese keyboard layout

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Wed May 14 06:48:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:43:33AM +0200, xorg at henrik.synth.no wrote:
> xorg at henrik.synth.no skrev:
> > This works, but as I understand, xmodmap is out of style.  As I
> > understand, I should do something in XkbOptions in xorg.conf, or make my
> > own symbols definition in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/
> >
> > The problem is, what symbol is the key just right of the space bar?  The
> > alfanumerical keys are easy to name (AE01 etc), but this one (and the
> > other japanese modifier keys) is considered special.
>
> Is there any tool (like xev) that prints the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/* key
> identifiers as they are pressed?

xev shows you the keycodes.  You can find the XKB name by the keycode.
For example, Space gives me keycode 65, and I can see it's name is
<SPCE>:

  mg at platonas:~ $ xkbcomp :0 -|grep '= 65;'
    <SPCE> = 65;

> And does anything like a graphical keyboard layout editor/creator exist
> for Linux?  I've searched around, but cannot find any.

I don't think there is one.

Marius Gedminas
--
>Linux is not user-friendly.
It _is_ user-friendly.  It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
(Seen somewhere on the net.)