EXA and MigrationHeuristic

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed May 28 12:11:37 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 20:46 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After my recent adventures with Radeon, XAA and EXA, I've come to the
> conclusion that setting MigrationHeuristic to greedy drastically helps
> performance of Firefox redraws on both Radeon and i965GM hardware.

The 965 render acceleration is still broken in that for small objects
(like text) it's slower than software.  Someone with the time needs to
fix that problem, by queuing up multiple primitives in a single vertex
buffer, so that we don't sync the chip every primitive.  There's a
commit attempting that in

git://people.freedesktop.org:~anholt/xf86-video-intel

on the 965-render-vb branch, but it's been done better in
intel-batchbuffer (emitting larger primitive lists).

Until someone fixes the driver problem, I would be opposed to use of the
965 as a metric for changing server defaults.