EXA and MigrationHeuristic

tom at dbservice.com tom at dbservice.com
Thu May 29 05:05:03 PDT 2008

Quoting Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr>:

>>>  Isn't the default value of MigrationHeuristic incorrect ?  Should we
>>>  switch to greedy as default ?
>
>> It's a bad move. Doing this prevents us from diagnosing issues and
>> fixing them, and thus globally slows down the advance of EXA and the
>> point at which it becomes usable for everyone.
>
> Let me get this straight.  You are deliberately shipping with a slow
> default in order to encourage me to fix your driver?

Seems so. But then again, you shouldn't be using drivers and packages
built directly from git.fd.o if you don't want to deal with such
things or contribute code or patches back. As you may have read in
this thread, Ubuntu has "greedy" as the default, so use that distro.

I have to agree with Stephane, I'd rather have it fixed then use a workaround.

tom