xserver just shows garbage
cathune_public2 at web.de
Fri May 30 14:11:42 PDT 2008
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: "Yan Seiner" <yan at seiner.com>
> Gesendet: 30.05.08 20:15:14
> An: "Carsten Scharfenberg" <cathune_public2 at web.de>
> Betreff: Re: xserver just shows garbage
> What's the garbage look like? If it's blocky (like multicolored text)
> that's one thing. If it's streaked like someone stuck the login prompt
> into a blender, that's another thing.
The garbage consists of scrambled remains of the last image shown by the graphics card: either it's the BIOS logo or the ubuntu splash window. Furthermore there are parts with black background and green or blue vertical stripes.
> Also, you could try the evil nvidia binary driver. Those work quite well
> with linux these days.
These are the results:
* driver "nv": I get this error message: "NV(0): Couldn't find the DDC routing table. Mode setting will probably fail!"
* driver "nvidia", after installing the package "nvidia-glx": error: "NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0.
Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for additional information."
But I cannot find a corresponding readme entry
* driver "nvidia", after installing the package "nvidia-glx-new": error: "NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA GPU at PCI 1:0:0 is not supported by the 169.12 NVIDIA driver"
* driver "nvidia", after installing the package "nvidia-glx-legacy": error: "Failed to load module "glx" Failed to load module "nvidia""
I would say that I have to use one of the first two options.
I also downloaded the following two versions of the driver directly from the nvidia web page:
* 173.14.05: To obtain this one I entered the model number of my gfx card (Quadro FX 570) into the nvidia web interface. Nevertheless I got the error message that my GPU is not supported
* 100.14.19: I downloaded this one after I did a google search for my gfx card. It shows the same problem as the second point above: "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device"
I think it's strange that no gfx driver is working - except the vga driver. There seems to be a more fundamental problem. Perhaps samething with the kernel (I'm using the ubuntu-kernel 2.6.24-17-generic)?
In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
More information about the xorg