Issues building synaptics + add orientation feature

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at online.fr
Sat Nov 1 15:28:00 PDT 2008

Hi,

I wanted to modify a little bit the synaptics driver, but I have issues
building it properly. This is no major issue (some  constants not
defined) but I don't have any idea on the proper way to solve that. I
took the latest release from the git tree.

When i run ./configure (after ./autogen.sh of course), I get:

./configure: line 12587: XORG_MANPAGE_SECTIONS: command not found
./configure: line 12588: XORG_RELEASE_VERSION: command not found

I didn't notice any error running autogen (except perhaps underquoted
macros). The real problem comes when I try to build the source using
make:

make[2]: Entering directory `xf86-input-synaptics/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include/    -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1    -I../src -MT synaptics.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/synaptics.Tpo -c -o synaptics.lo synaptics.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include/ -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I../src -MT synaptics.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/synaptics.Tpo -c synaptics.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/synaptics.o
synaptics.c:149: error: ‘PACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR’ undeclared here (not in a function)
synaptics.c:149: error: ‘PACKAGE_VERSION_MINOR’ undeclared here (not in a function)
synaptics.c:149: error: ‘PACKAGE_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL’ undeclared here (not in a function)
make[2]: *** [synaptics.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `xf86-input-synaptics/src'

it seems that PACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR,MINOR,PATCHLEVEL aren't defined.
But how to have them correctly defined?

If I run something like:

make CFLAGS="-DPACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR=1 -DPACKAGE_VERSION_MINOR=1 -DPACKAGE_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL=1"

I can go a little further, but not that much, it seems that the header
xorg-server.h cannot be found:

In file included from synaptics.c:58:
../config.h:4:25: error: xorg-server.h: No such file or directory

But I have it on my system ... in /usr/include/xorg/xorg-server.h. So
what's going wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Anyway, I'm also up to adding a new feature to the driver, change the
orientation of the trackpad. You may ask me what could this be used
for. This comes because of the orientation option of xrandr. On a
laptop, I can change the orientation of the screen, but then, the
intuitive behaviour for the trackpad would be to change the orientation
as well. So the motion of your finger would reflect the same way on the
screen.

The best thing would be that the orientation would magically change if
xrandr changes the  orientation, but I don't have much idea on how to
do that. Fortunately, it is possible to change the orientation at
runtime using the shared memory. So it would be possible to change the
orientation of the trackpad at the same time.

So, I have a patch almost ready, I just have to test it to see if it
does what I want. I'm still not sure if swapping hw->x and hw->y is
effective or not :/ Are any of the maintainer interested by that patch?

Thanks.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya