radeon vs radeonhd drivers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 10 19:15:24 PST 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings all;
>
>I rebuilt 2.6.26 for smp and my new hardware and have rebooted to it.
>
>But the monitor is still sitting in black, not powered down, the next
> morning. This did work well when the box was an xp2800 and the card was an
> ATI 9200SE AGP version.  I was using the radeon driver in my xorg.conf
> then.
>
>Now the box is a 4 core phenom and the card is an HD2400, PCI-E, and I'm
> using the radeonhd driver although the radeon seems usable too although
> slightly slower.
>
>Is this driver difference causing the lack of monitor power control?
>Something that radeonhd does not yet support?
>
>Thanks.

Never mind, the answer is yes, monitor powerdown works using the radeon
driver, but doesn't using the radeonhd driver.

But its not that simple either, cuz when running the radeon driver, I get
random screen blanking for 1-10 seconds at a time, and for a change it
doesn't seem to be tied to the time of day since its doing it right now and
it is 10 pm.

Also, using the radeon driver, glxgears is about 200 fps slower, but that is a
minor niggle at this point.

So when do we see a radeonhd driver that does support this on an rv610 card?

I'm going back to the radeonhd driver, this blinking screen is giving me a
friggin migrain.

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene