Synaptics patch: orientation

Éric Piel E.A.B.Piel at tudelft.nl
Tue Nov 11 06:21:34 PST 2008

:

>        Option "DontReportSize" "boolean"
:

Hi,
It's great, it's a feature I've been really looking for!
However, I have a couple of comments.

First, as this is clearly following the xrandr notions, I think it
should call the same things the same. So let's call it "rotation"
instead of "orientation" (unless in the inside of the Xrandr protocol
it's called orientation?).

Also, the idea of rotation has nothing specific to the synaptics
touchpad, it's just generic to any pointer device. For instance, I think
there was recently some patches to swap the axes in the evdev driver.
Shouldn't all this infrastructure be in a generic layer? At least, it
would be good if all the drivers conformed to the same features,
property names, and property behaviour :-)

Last but not least, as a user, only the rotation is useful. I don't care
about "DontReportSize", "VertSpeed" and "HorizSpeed", they are just
tricks that have to be done to get the touchpad correctly behaving after
a rotation is applied. They should be computed automatically.

> The next thing would be to automatically change the orientation of the
> trackpad when XRandR rotates the screen.
Certainly not at the X server level. I have two screens, which screen's
orientation are you going to use? However, at a higher level, like in
the gnome applet for screen resolution, that would be very useful.

See you,
Eric