Moving xkbcomp into the server

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 05:50:57 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:25:25AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> I decided to take a crack at moving xkbcomp into the server so it's
>> not popen'd whenever a keymap is loaded. For the first crack, I'm
>> trying to just leave xkbcomp pretty much unchanged except for the
>> interface. What's causing me the most difficulty is converting to
>> server API. One snag I've hit is XStringToKeysym. Here's an example
>> usage in the xkbcomp parser:
>>
>> int
>> LookupKeysym(char *str, KeySym * sym_rtrn)
>> {
>> [...]
>> }
>>
>> Is there an equivalent API in the server to do this conversion?
>> Is this crazy/am I going about this the wrong way?
>> Any general suggestions for working on this?
>
> No, yes, and break it out into a convenience library, respectively.  I
> toyed with creating a libxkbcommon ages ago for exactly this reason, but
> never ended up finishing it.

A server convenience library (in the libtool sense) or a low level
shared library for the server and client? If the second, that means
use of Xlib is prohibited, right?

OK, I suppose that's the right way to do it. Do you have any code I
could look at? I don't care if it's ancient/broken/lacking history,
I'd just like to see what you had in mind since you obviously have
infinitely more experience here than I do.

--
Dan