My Own Linux
myown.linux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 06:39:41 PST 2008
1. I want to look at the source of the function XCreateSimpleWindow(). I
extracted the xserver sources and greped it - but I could not find it Where
are the sources of Xlib function calls located ?
2. When I create a window using XCreateSimpleWindow() function - the window
has the decoration of the Ubuntu desktop that I am using. I was informed
that window manager captures it and re-parents the current window to a new
window with the title bar as one window and the current window as another.
So how that happen ? How does the window manager know that I have created a
window using the raw X command ? (maybe I assume a event is sent) . I just
want to confirm !
3. There are two structures : Display, Screen. How does the window manager
implement the Virtual Desktops ? Is there any other structure like a
VirtualScreen, Viewport ??
4. What is the actual role of X server ?
Most of the work is done by window manager and other libraries.
What I have been able to gather is :
- It creates and manages windows
- Handles the input events
- Informs when the window needs to be redrawn.
Am I right or I left something.
Most of the documentation on the net is old and has no information about
current releases. I am trying to understand the X server - so the many
questions that I could not find answers anywhere.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the xorg