Broken X11 After Mandriva Upgrade

gw1500se awingnut at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:02:45 PST 2008

I recently upgraded to Mandriva to 2007 Free. In the process, something
happened that broke X11. I have tried everything I can thing of but no joy.
It has been very difficult to get any diagnostics  because when I try to
startx, the console goes black and neither keyboard nor mouse can do
anything. I finally did a startx via ssh and got these errors:

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.12-31mdksmp i686
Current Operating System: Linux dap002 2.6.17-13mdv #1 SMP Fri Mar 23
19:03:31 UTC 2007 i686
Build Date: 22 January 2008
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Nov 19 17:14:46 2008
Using vt 7
List of video drivers:
v4l
apm
ark
ati
atimisc
r128
radeon
chips
cirrus
cyrix
dummy
vesa
i128
i740
i810
imstt
mga
neomagic
newport
nsc
nv
rendition
s3
s3virge
savage
siliconmotion
sisusb
sunbw2
suncg14
suncg3
suncg6
sunffb
sunleo
tdfx
tga
trident
tseng
sis
vmware
voodoo
glint
suntcx
via
fbdev
vga
Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunbw2_drv.so:
undefined symbol: xf86MatchSbusInstances

Do these message suggest a course of action to anyone as to how I can fix
this? TIA.