xf86-video-intel (2.4.2) and support for Focus FS454

Stefan /*St0fF*/ Hübner stefan.huebner at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Oct 6 23:23:08 PDT 2008

Eric Anholt schrieb:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 20:04 +0200, Stefan /*St0fF*/ Hübner wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I've got a system here which consists of Intel 830CGC and a focus fs454
>> chip to produce TV-output.  Is there any way of making this work on a
>> relatively current linux?  I'm asking this as I could not make
>> successful use of the IEGD-suites available from Intel a.t.m.
>>
>> How could the fs454 be made usable with the 2.4.2 version? (I've seen
>> some sub-modules for other chips that seem to have the same purpose)
>>
>> Is support planned?
>>
>> Would Intel help?
>
> No, we're no longer adding additional support for old DVO encoders.
> Most of them have freely available specifications such that anyone with
> time and interest could write a driver for them.  I saw fs454 register
> specs with some cursory googling.  If that's not enough, mmiotrace and
> friends can help trace what the BIOS does to program your hardware so
> you can write a better native driver.

Dear Eric,

thank you very much for your answer.  You wrote pretty much what I
expected.  The thing is, that you or your colleagues already wrote the
neccessary code for older versions of the IEGD (version 4.1.2 is what
most people with the kind of boxes run).  So couldn't intel just release
this by now no more supported IEGD code, so that one could just patch it
up to work with more recent software?  I mean, do we always have to
invent the wheel twice?  Why not release some code that doesn't make any
money for intel anymore?

About the googling: I have all the necessary specs for the focus-chip
here, I just wanted to ask before wasting time for code that I know
exists already.
Also it seems to be a lot of pain involved in the drivers.  If I started
the task, would I receive help at all?

Sincerely,
Stefan