For how long Intel users are stucked with OpenGL 1.4 ?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Oct 7 12:05:56 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 20:26 +0200, Mateusz Kaduk wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any chance to get OpenGL 2.1 on Intel 965GM ?
> A time ago I was using DRM module i915.ko from git and it was working
> nice. Now because of GEM, module is not compiling anymore and I am
> stucked with OpenGL 1.4 which does not work for most of applications
> that I was able to run before! While ati and nvidia support OpenGL 2.1
> nicely, laptop users with onboard Intel are really stucked... Is there
> any walkaround for this bug ? Is there any branch that supports OpenGL
> 2.1 and does not have GEM in its code?

You want the drm-intel-next kernel tree for GEM support
(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel), not
drm.git master.  This is the code that will be going into 2.6.28.

The OpenGL version number issue is not GEM-related.  We decided not to
merge the ARB_occlusion_query support that had been written because it
was unsafe for multiple contexts and imposed extra idling on the
hardware, such that it may have been worse for its consumers than not
supporting the extension at all.  Since ARB_oq was put into the OpenGL
1.5 base, we can't expose 2.0 even though we support everything but
ARB_oq.

I've got a branch of my work-in-progress ARB_oq support at
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~anholt/mesa#965-occlusion-query which I
got compiling this morning waiting for a kernel build.  I'm hoping to
finish it in the next 2 weeks.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com