XTerm exits immediatly with self-compiled xorg

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:59:33 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am currently trying to build xorg from git, and it mostly works
except some font stuff.

When I try to start xterm it quits immediatly with the following messages:

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:^M
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols^M
>                   Ignoring extra symbols^M
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server^M
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct^M  <--------- Xterm

However twm seems to work fine.

I also saw some errors before that stating that for locale xyz no
fonts could be found. Is Xorg simply missing fonts?
Any ideas how I could fix that, or why xorg does not use the font
configuration from the productive xorg in /etc/font/font.conf (the new
one is in /opt/xorg)?
I also tried copying /usr/share/fonts to /opt/xorg/share/fonts, but
without success.

Any ideas are welcome, sorry for bothering with stuff like that :-/

Thank you in advance, Clemens