Looking for registers reference for Oak OTI64111 (Spitfire)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Oct 9 07:52:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 19:28 -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
> Recently I dug up a very old graphics card, an Oak Spitfire OTI-64111 by
> Oak Technologies. After looking up information for it in Google, I found
> that there is no specific driver for xorg (although there are plenty of
> mirrors for windows drivers). I want to familiarize myself with graphics
> driver programming, and I thought that writing the xorg driver for Oak
> 64111 would be a good way to get some practice with xorg driver
> development. However, I have had a hard time digging up register
> references for this particular video card. Does anybody here know of any
> documentation about the Oak 64111 (register references and such) that
> could be useful to write a driver for this card?

There was an oak driver in XFree86 3.x, with 2D acceleration even,
although it appears to have been for the ISA and VLB variants only.  You
can grab it from here:

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.6/source/X336src-1.tgz

And the driver is down in

 xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/vga256/drivers/oak

Many of the early PCI chips had started life as ISA chips, and their
programming model didn't really change much when the bus changed, so
that's probably a good start.

If the card works with the vesa driver at all, a good exercise is to
build the X server with x86emu debugging turned on and inspect what the
various VBE calls do.  Cross-referencing that trace with the registers
mentioned in the old xfree86 driver should at least tell you whether the
PCI cards were like the ISA ones.  See the code around the PRINT_PORT
macro in hw/xfree86/int10/helper_exec.c in the X server.

I think ATI ended up buying Oak but I would be utterly utterly stunned
if they had any of the documentation still.  I wouldn't even bother
asking.

- ajax