GMA X4500MHD with the intel-driver?

Karsten Heiken karsten at disposed.de
Sat Oct 11 11:23:29 PDT 2008

I recently bought a new notebook (Sony Vaio SR19XN) with an Intel GMA
X4500MHD graphics adapter.

The intel-driver works - but only for external monitors.
My laptop-display doesn't show anything.
The panel-backlight is active - but nothing more.
I can use external monitors perfectly, even with Compiz and all the
other fancy stuff.

Currently i am running version 2.4.1 (bundled with Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex
- Kernel 2.6.27-6).
Before i also used 2.4.2 with ArchLinux.
Different version; same problem.

The only workaround for me right now is to use the intel-driver when i'm
at home, and the vesa-driver when i'm at the university.

Is there any chance of being able to use the internal display with the
intel-driver? Even better: using both displays? ;-)

Thanks in advance

Karsten