Embedded X

Kamalneet Singh kamalneet.s at samsung.com
Wed Oct 15 03:52:57 PDT 2008

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 08:40:13AM +0100, John Tapsell wrote:
>> 2008/10/14 Amit <pundiramit at gmail.com>:
>>> Only building Xserver will be sufficient or do I have to build the
>>> whole X11 package availbale at
>>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.2/src/ ?
>> Why not just go for the full X11?  Memory wise I found no difference
>> in the memory usage between X11 and kdrive on the OMAP.
>
> Right, and future releases of Maemo will be using Xorg instead of
> KDrive, for exactly that reason.

Thanks for the info. Will be nice if someone can quickly tell any pros
and cons of using kdrive instead of Xorg, for embedded systems where we
know the hardware at build time.

Are there any performance differences between Xorg and kdrive? Is EXA
better than KAA?

The development effort of writing a new kdrive server (based on Xfbdev)
vs writing Xorg driver for a new hardware? I guess kdrive is easier and
cleaner, maybe because I'm not at all familiar with Xorg development.

Thanks
~kammal