Intel: how's dynamic framebuffer allocation coming?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Oct 16 10:39:24 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 21:28 +0100, Andrew Clayton wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:08:29 -0400, Joel Feiner wrote:
>
> > And on that note, how about allowing proper 3d and compositing
> > acceleration across screen area bigger than 2048x2048 (I believe
> > that's the limit).  It'd be nice to be able to use Compiz/xcompmgr
> > with two screens again like I could with MergedFB.
>
> Adam Jackson has a project called shatter which should get around
> this. See last paragraph here:
> http://ajaxxx.livejournal.com/60080.html

There's a (broken, incomplete, useful for reading but not for running,
please don't even try to run it) version of this idea here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ajax/xserver-shatter?h=shatter

In case anyone's interested in the general shape of the idea.  The
comment at the top here is, well, more or less accurate:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ajax/xserver-shatter/tree/randr/rrmx.c?h=shatter&id=2d97ccc7ef20ab186dbe681fbe101ab4a246edfd

The big work left to do is splitting this the rest of the way out from
RANDR, redoing rendering dispatch so that everything is against
contexts, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I've got a better writeup on the core API changes this will need, and a
less garbage implementation, laying around on some laptop somewhere.
I'll see about getting those uploaded.

- ajax