[xorg-server-1.5.2] Mouse wheel trouble

Tobias Jakobi liquid.acid at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 17:42:31 PDT 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> you don't have any button mapping set, do you?

Important part from HAL config:
<!-- Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical USB mouse -->
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
      <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
      <merge key="input.device"
type="string">/dev/input/ms_intellimouse_event</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.SendCoreEvents"
type="string">true</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.RelHWHEELMapTo"
type="string">Buttons 5 4</merge>
    </match>
  </device>

I have some settings in the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi.
I added the RelHWHEELMapTo setting after the device did not work, but
that didn't seem to fix it. If I remove the setting nothing changes. The
mouse still doesn't work after a restart of X (buttons 6 and 7 are
assigned to the wheel, which doesn't seem to be that what X expects) and
replugging makes the wheel work again.

> can you run evtest on the device file and post the output when the wheel
> doesn't work? (you have to do that without X running, otherwise it'll grab the
> device from you).

Input driver version is 1.0.0
Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x45e product 0x29 version 0x100
Input device name: "Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse® Optical"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 272 (LeftBtn)
    Event code 273 (RightBtn)
    Event code 274 (MiddleBtn)
    Event code 275 (SideBtn)
    Event code 276 (ExtraBtn)
  Event type 2 (Relative)
    Event code 0 (X)
    Event code 1 (Y)
    Event code 8 (Wheel)
  Event type 4 (Misc)
    Event code 4 (ScanCode)
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
Event: time 1224203149.075801, type 2 (Relative), code 8 (Wheel), value -1
Event: time 1224203149.075803, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1224203149.363751, type 2 (Relative), code 8 (Wheel), value 1
Event: time 1224203149.363757, -------------- Report Sync ------------

Did the same after starting X, replugging and shutdown it down again.
Same results.

Since I can't monitor the device while X is running I can't be sure that
shutting down X also resets the device (like the restart does).

> the wheel code in evdev is fairly simple, so I'd wager a bet on either
> configuration or hw issues.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

Greets,