[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.5.0

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Oct 20 18:25:06 PDT 2008

Well, here it is (finally!).  Lots of changes in this release (see below for
the shortlog & download URLs).  We planned several things for this release:
  1) usable EXA support
  2) support for GEM (if supported by the currently running kernel)
  3) support for kernel mode setting (again, if the underlying kernel supports
     it)
  4) no more video tearing with textured video & XvMC
  5) Bug fixing
  6) removal of XAA code

Item (4) was the main thing we missed this time (Nanhai has been working
flat out to get MPEG2 offload working so we didn't get a chance to try
different approaches for vblank sync'ing).  I think the real fix here will
be DRI2, which should allow us to run compositing managers in DRI mode,
with real vblank sync'ing for all their drawing.

Also, I didn't follow through with my threat to remove XAA, even though EXA
improved significantly this time around (especially with post-1.5 X servers).

The blocker list was almost completely cleared out.  We still have a few
issues (including a Sony/GM45 related problem we still don't understand), but
overall all our bug fixers deserve a big thank you.

GEM support is looking great now, and is now in upstream Linux, so should be
part of the 2.6.28 release.

Kernel mode setting support is also included, though the kernel bits aren't
queued up yet.  Small patches will be needed when it finally lands upstream,
mainly for mapping pixmaps through the GTT for better fallback handling.

This release also includes UXA, a new acceleration architecture Keith put
together specifically for UMA machines.  It does its own pixmap management,
but as a result really wants the same sort of GTT mapping interface that we
need for kernel mode setting.  I'm hoping to have that fixed up this week
(again this means small patches on top of 2.5.0 to get good performance).

This release requires libdrm 2.4.0 which was recently released, but should
work on both GEM and non-GEM enabled kernels.  It should also build & work
against old X servers (theoretically going back to 1.3 I think, but I haven't
tested that configuration recently).

So please pull this release down and give it a try.  As usual, report bugs
to bugs.freedesktop.org and use xorg@ and intel-gfx@ for questions and
development discussion.

Thanks,
Jesse

Adam Jackson (2):
      Don't touch pScrn->monitor->DDC directly.
      Fix Mac mini crash in DDC mode probe

Alan Coopersmith (1):
      Man page typo fixes

Bryce Harrington (1):
      Add TV out quirk for HP Compaq nx6110

Carl Worth (17):
      Move VERTEX_BUFFERS setup from prepare_composite to composite
      Allow for multiple vertex buffers (though only use one for now)
      Use up to 256 separate vertex buffers
      Add intel_statuspage to .gitignore
      Add OUT_RELOC macro and backing intel_batch_emit_reloc function
      Switch to using a buffer object for the vertex buffer
      Eliminate unnecessary flush from i965_composite
      Add call to intel_bufmgr_gem_enable_reuse
      Call DRM_I915_GEM_THROTTLE from I830BlockHandler
      Examine picture repeatType as well as repeat field.
      Add support for RepeatPad and RepeatReflect.
      Prefer repeatType field over using both repeat and repeatType.
      Fallback to software for RepeatNone with transformed RGB-only pictures.
      Revert "Fallback to software for RepeatNone with transformed RGB-only pictures."
      Rename default_color to border_color
      Document and use 'legacy' border color mode
      Disable frame buffer compression by default for GM965.

Daniel Stone (1):
      i830: Fix timer leak

Dave Airlie (3):
      [gem] remove one more unused bit
      intel: fix drm check.
      mode: fix missing comma

David Schleef (1):
      Bug #17277: fix upscaling limit

Eamon Walsh (2):
      Remove unused exa_pixmap_key.
      Change uxa private keys to integer variables.

Eric Anholt (48):
      Add initial GEM hacks to bring the server up.
      [gem] Reduce console spam from debugging.
      [gem] Note if pinning a buffer fails.
      Add a little program to dump out the first 64 dwords of the status page.
      Use batchbuffers instead of ring emits for general commands.
      Avoid needless flush emits in the blockhandler.
      Use the DRM for submitting batchbuffers when available.
      Change most usage of pixmap offsets to using a reloc macro.
      Use bufmgr_gem when available instead of the fake bufmgr.
      [gem] Don't set up the ring in GEM mode, as that'll be handled by the kernel.
      [gem] Chase move of create ioctl from generic to device-specific.
      Require libdrm 2.4.0 always since we need the bufmgr code.
      [gem] Catch -EINTR from blocking GEM ioctl and restart.
      Add little hotplug detector app.
      Remove VGA regs from debug output.
      Add DisplayPort registers.
      Initial HDMI work.  Not currently hooked up at startup.
      The phase shift its are now reserved, and add HDMI clock limits.
      Add pixel multiplier support for HDMI
      Set the sync active bits like we're supposed to, matching the BIOS.
      Get HDMI output working.
      Fix hdmi POSTING_READ to use the register number instead of the register value.
      Automatically detect the presence of HDMI.
      Fix a crash in i830_sdvo_init error paths by setting up dev_priv earlier.
      Set tiling state for buffers allocated using GEM.
      Fix DSPARB setting on 845/865, which have only the AEND field and 96 entries.
      Bump version number past the 2.4 stable branch.
      Get prototype for i830_bios_get_tv().
      Fix uninitialized-use warning in i830_debug.c ring dumping.
      Fix distcheck.
      Don't set up the HWS page in GEM mode now that the kernel manages it.
      intel-gem: Give a better error message if the kernel rejects the tiling mode.
      intel-gem: Use new getparam to detect kernel GEM support.
      intel_idle: Instead if #if 0, add an ignore flag for unreliable INSTDONE bits.
      Set lvds_ddc_mode before use to avoid a segfault on mac mini.
      Add some MCHBAR registers for debugging tile swizzling issues.
      Bug #17446: Don't try to manage IRQs in GEM mode.
      Track move of bufmgr functions to libdrm_intel.
      Track the move of irq emit/wait to fake bufmgr.
      Track move of exec to bufmgr, and restoration of emit/wait funcs for non-drm.
      Work around libpciaccess reporting a 0 rom size by guessing.
      Add support for RepeatPad and RepeatReflect to 915 and 830-class Render accel.
      Fix bios_reader build against old servers.
      Fix driver build against server 1.4.2.
      Add a GTT dumper for G4x debugging.
      Fix broken stolen memory counting on G4X.
      Remove gratuitous flushing in EXA after solid operations.
      Enable Option "Legacy3D" for 965 as well, and clarify both the docs and code.

Fabio (1):
      Man page patch to clarify meaning of VideoRam option with i810/i815

Hong Liu (1):
      Fix SDVO HDMI output.

Jesse Barnes (60):
      Add support for keeping vblank counters sane across mode setting
      Fix back buffer damage handler for 965+ chips
      Remove ErrorF debugging from modeset ioctl
      Add pipe a force enable quirk for Lenovo T60
      Add pipea force enable quirk for HP Pavilion ze4944ea
      Improve FBC size checking
      Improve VBIOS feature detection, add SSC support
      Add VBIOS based TV connector detection
      Don't disable pipe A on 855 chips
      Choose a split for DSPARB based on the configured modes for both planes.
      Add no LVDS quirk for Transtec Senyo 610 mini PC
      Update DSPARB while planes are still off
      Update man page
      Reorganize VBIOS code
      Revert "Switch to using a buffer object for the vertex buffer"
      Initial port of kernel modesetting from old intel-kernelmode branch
      Make it actually build the kernel stuff if possible
      Add EXA pixmap management functions for kernel mode setting
      Update DRM based modesetting support
      Don't wait for ring if kernel mode setting is active
      Don't run old accel init code
      Don't set tiling (yet) if kernel mode setting is active
      Map gen4 render state buffer before initializing
      Make EXA & UXA share bo getting function
      Use pwrite for cursor updates
      Fixup AccelMethod kernel mode setting code
      Map/unmap render state only when bo is available
      Fix pipe A force quirk
      Remove last TTM bits
      Pack bdb_general_definitions block
      Remove unused VBIOS flag defines
      Add VBIOS software flags dumper program
      Add quirk for pre-915s with working PFIT regs
      Bail out if kernel mode setting is active but DRI fails
      Don't allocate EXA offscreen space if kernel mode setting is active
      Use GTT mapping for EXA PrepareAccess function
      Add swf_dumper to .gitignore
      Add more panel debugging info to register dump & vbios reader
      Don't allocate a pipe for hotplug detection
      Don't disable planes in i830_update_dsparb
      Fix compiler warnings in VBIOS utils
      Hide kernel mode setting EXA code behind XF86DRM_MODE
      Update version to post-2.5
      Update version to 2.4.97 for first 2.5 test release
      Fix UXA build for distcheck
      Fix UXA build for distcheck
      Fix build when using kernel DRM headers
      Only BO map render state if kernel mode setting is active
      Add Cappuccino SlimPRO SP625F to no LVDS quirks list
      Add no TV out quirk for HP Compaq nx6110
      Revert "Add no TV out quirk for HP Compaq nx6110"
      Update supported hardware list
      Work around gcc uninitialized variable warnings
      Use -Werror by default
      Use VBT LFP info pointers by default
      Be more verbose about panel data in VBIOS dumper
      Revert "Use -Werror by default"
      Document more VBIOS functionality
      Update version to 2.4.98 for 2.5.0 release candidate
      Bump version to 2.5.0 for release

Julien Cristau (6):
      Fix gen4asm rule to work with a build dir
      Link the driver with -lpciaccess and -ldrm if needed
      Link with -lm for sin/cos
      Fix up the HP Pavilion ze4944ea quirk
      Don't skip the checks for DRI headers with --enable-dri
      Typo fix

Keith Packard (31):
      Set pin alignment for gem on non-965
      Use GEM for buffer naming now.
      Fix up ring dumping code for non-i965
      Move a declaration under #ifndef HAVE_FREE_SHADOW
      Record alignment requirements in mem structure for use by GEM.
      Track name changes in GEM ioctls.
      Add check for GEM, use that to enable driver GEM support
      Remove some unreliable regs for i915
      Flush pending batch in block handler
      Add UXA - the unified memory acceleration architecture.
      Make EXA functions work for UXA as well
      Don't call sync on prepare_access -- just let the driver deal with it.
      Use dri_bo for all object allocations, including pixmaps under uxa
      Add throttling
      Add batch flush in i830_uxa_prepare_access
      Change PrepareAccess to take access mode rather than index
      Rename uxa using _ instead of caps
      Use EXA by default instead of UXA until we have GTT mapping
      [uxa] Check xalloc returns and deal with failure
      [uxa] Remove unused pixmap size limits.
      Use uintptr_t instead of uint64_t to hold pointer value
      Eliminate INT10 call to get BIOS contents
      i830 nondrm batch buffer insertion was missing ADVANCE_LP_RING() call
      For non-DRM, add NOOPs after BATCH_BUFFER_START to verify completion
      XAA tiling support was mis-computing adjusted pitch (>>4 instead of >>2)
      Handle differently tiled front/back/depth/third in DRI window management
      Check for DRI module before initializing GEM mm
      Remove accidental 'return;' left at the top of I830DRIInitBuffers
      No need to check for drmCommandWriteRead; we link against libdrm
      Reduce incidence of MI_FLUSH usage.
      Use pipes, not planes for sarea geometry data

Lukas Hejtmanek (1):
      Fix driver build against server master.

Olivier Fourdan (3):
      Apply pipe A quirk to 845 as well.
      Fix DPMS off in the presence of the pipe A quirk.
      Fix ordering of VGA vs. plane disable

Robert Noland (2):
      Check for drm before calling modeset ioctl.
      Fix typo in last commit

Roland Test-tools Bär (1):
      i810: Remove an effectively unused variable (only used in an incorrect free())

Shaohua Li (1):
      avoid duplicate mode set in lvds

Shuang He (1):
      Fix a typo in G965 texture video code

Stefan Dirsch (2):
      Add pipea force enable quirk for another 855GM machine.
      Pipe A force quirk for Toshiba Satellite A30.

Tomas Carnecky (1):
      Reorder visuals reported by the intel driver

Xiang, Haihao (4):
      Put back check for pI830->hw_status in setting hws in non-GEM mode.
      Move bufmgr init earlier so it's available at I830DRIDoMappings time.
      Put back check for pI830->hw_status in setting hws in non-GEM mode.
      Move bufmgr init earlier so it's available at I830DRIDoMappings time.

Zhenyu Wang (48):
      Add support for Intel 4 series chipsets.
      Add backlight kernel method support on Asus and Eeepc
      xvmc: formalize surface type definition
      xvmc: environ debug option support
      xvmc: init one-time mc context once
      xvmc: init dest and reference buffer once
      xvmc: init mc render load indirect command once
      xvmc: only allocate memory requiring physical address on 915G
      xvmc: enlarge batch buffer size
      xvmc: Don't copy on xvmc surface in PutImage
      xvmc: fix motion_type dump for frame/field picture
      Fix SDVOC typo
      Give asus and eeepc backlight method higher priority
      Fix official name for GM45 chipset
      move FBC register dump out of display registers
      xvmc: use vector based structure
      Only initialize integrated TV encoder for mobile chips
      Thinkpad R60e TV quirk via DMI info
      Check underrun on enabled pipe
      SSC is LVDS only
      only check pipe underrun if vtSema is true.
      Bug #16801: fix X crash when NoAccel on 965
      Fix HDMI output number
      Fix distcheck for clean doltcompile
      shut up gcc warning
      Don't program dsparb on new Intel chip
      Fix SDVO reg definition
      Fix SDVO HDMI encoding detect (#16920)
      Disable display clock gating for 4 series chips
      Fix possible spurious interrupts in hotplug detect on 4 series chip
      Make skip_panel_detect clear for its meaning
      Always check and free driver private in LVDS destroy
      Fix reverted LVDS bios capability dword definition
      Destroy bufmgr after allocation finish
      Fix X exit crash in NoAccel
      Disable render standby
      Add support for G41 chipset
      Check display stride limit when allocate front buffer
      Fix output detection for DVI-I
      Bug #16515: Fix VT switch with DVI on G45
      Do force CRT detect sequence twice on 4 series chipset
      Render register clock gating disable fix on 4 series chipset
      Bug #16631: add option for SDVO force detect
      Put forware VBIOS data parsing
      Remove Lenovo T61 TV quirk
      Bug #17892: Fix possible crash in CRT probe
      Make GTT dumper work on other 9XX chips
      Don't handle irq in GEM mode

Zou Nan hai (1):
      Fix from He Shuang(shuang.he at intel.com),

lipeng (1):
      Fix GPIO pin usage for DDC on second HDMI port.

git tag: xf86-video-intel-2.5.0

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/driver/xf86-video-intel-2.5.0.tar.bz2
MD5: 462f205bd47766265246cc39801b75e7  xf86-video-intel-2.5.0.tar.bz2
SHA1: 081709117a665af9d9f0339b58a298b8a7c786f8  xf86-video-intel-2.5.0.tar.bz2

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/driver/xf86-video-intel-2.5.0.tar.gz
MD5: 3d5f44ee1d60cfa88881a18c81c766c3  xf86-video-intel-2.5.0.tar.gz
SHA1: e5eec7e2ad72ff4333d38de56dd4b46dbec6f51d  xf86-video-intel-2.5.0.tar.gz