Problems building XGL (already a long time)

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Tue Oct 21 08:10:16 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 16:05:41 Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 14:41 +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm trying to build the XGL server, next to the Xorg and Xephyr
> > server.
>
> Don't do that.

OK.

> > Xephyr does not support xgl extensions right? If it does there is no
> > need for me to build XGl, but if not how do I build XGL??
>
> Xephyr supports GLX.  It's even accelerated in 1.5.  I think the
> acceleration support requires the use of a DRI driver under the skin
> (ie, not nVidia's driver), but I could be wrong.

OK! That's good news.

Also I know there was a bug, making Xephyr crash randomly. Is this bug also
fixed, as far as you know. I'm just asking, otherwise I will search through
the documentation.

I'm not very familiar with the architecture of X, so can you please explain a
little? DRI driver, ok I know X uses that, but I have a nvidia card.

In my configuration there is one main Xorg server, which will do the talking
to the hardware, so I guess that X will need the dri driver, and not Xephyr.

Thanks for your reaction.

Stef Bon