Ansification of X.Org code & other cleanup work

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Oct 24 03:05:44 PDT 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> If someone wanted to organize a "janitorial squad" to tackle these and help
> new people work through them to get to the point where they were ready for
> commit access, we'd love you forever (or at least until you turn us down
> when we then volunteer you to be the next release manager).
>
> [2] 41 open bugs:
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=janitor&product=Xorg&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

Hi Paulo,

looking through that list, I noticed that your #15082 (app/xfs) has already
addressed a problem (redefined) I also noticed recently. You also mention
two other problems:

I fully agree with the prototype and declaration "BecomeDaemon (void)".

To Paulo and Alan,

I'm not so sure about Paulos proposal to add a prototype for SnfSetFormat in
xfs/os/config.c. I'd rather think that this function ought to be declared in
one of the headers installed by libXfont. (Is there a policy decision?)

To all,

moreover, I think one should add

 	if test "x$GCC" = "xyes"; then
 	        GCC_WARNINGS="-Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes \
 	        -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations \
 	        -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing"
 	        CFLAGS="$GCC_WARNINGS $CFLAGS"
 	fi

to each and every configure.ac (if not already present) and address the
problems uncovered this way.

To Paulo and Alan,

there are additional problems with xfs:

The xfs(1) manpage states (under "-daemon") that the daemon will delete the
pidfile upon exit: not true.

In addition SetDaemonState in xfs/os/utils.c has code to produce an error
message that another xfs process is already running. This never happens
because StorePid always return either 0 or -1, and would be problematic
because there may well be two daemons using different ports. Fact is,
however, that when I try to start a second daemon on the same port, that
process overwrites the original pidfile and then dies (probably because it
can't create the socket). Not very nice.

regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>