Reg: AIGLX architecture & it's difference from DRI

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 02:03:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Rahaman <mustaf.here at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I do not want to write a dri.so which will work either with DRI or with
> AIGLX.Let's put my questions one by one below..
>
> 1>If some one( a vendor) gives me only the OpenGL driver(no DRI/DRM
> functionality) implementation, can i use that and build my DRI/DRM modules
> i.e. Can i write my own dri.so & drm.so and still use the vendor provided
> OpenGL? Excuse me as some of my questions can be abstarct or some cases
> invalid,too as i am new to this area :-(

an OpenGL driver for Linux, is a kernel module + 3D client driver + 2D
driver support changes.
If someone is providing you an OpenGL driver then you need all the
bits. This doesn't necessarily mean a DRI driver,
nvidia for example provide GL drivers not using the DRI architecture
at all. If you are getting a GL driver for DRI architecture,
then you need all the bits.

> 2>In case of AIGLX, where can i find the code inside xserver where it
> redirects the libGL calls to the GL_dri.so

Not sure why it matters, but its in glx directory or GL/ in older servers.

> 3>Can i get a comparison like pros & cons for both the architecture in
> different context/use cases?

They aren't different architectures. X.org has the DRI architecture,
AIGLX is just part of that. AIGLX will be slower, as things like
textures need to be sent to the X server. AIGLX may not be able to
expose all the GL extensions due to missing GLX protocol for some.
AIGLX means the clients don't need access to the kernel directly.
Thats about all I can think off.

Dave.