ProcCreatePixmap() crasher

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Sep 2 12:33:37 PDT 2008

Hi,

We're running xserver-1.4.99.906 in the new OLPC OS build. I'm working
on this bug: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8022

When you open http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware in our firefox-based
web browser app, X crashes with this trace:

XvDestroyPixmap (pPix=0x0) at xvmain.c:348
348	  pScreen = pPix->drawable.pScreen;

#0  XvDestroyPixmap (pPix=0x0) at xvmain.c:348
#1  0x0808119f in ProcCreatePixmap (client=0x9450950) at dispatch.c:1342
#2  0x08085dbf in Dispatch () at dispatch.c:454
#3  0x0806b63d in main (argc=7, argv=0xbfa7c494, envp=0x0) at main.c:441

It looks like mozilla requests a large pixmap that cannot be allocated,
then we try to destroy a NULL pixmap.

The attached patch solves the X crash by not freeing the NULL pixmap.
However, with that applied, the application crashes when loading that
particular page (admittedly not as bad as killing all of X, but hey). It
dies with these last words:

The program 'rainbow-daemon' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 11493 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

Any comments on whether this is a bug in X, mozilla, or something else?

Also, Jordan Crouse commented that it is strange that Xv is appearing in
the call trace here. Does anyone have an explanation for this? My X
knowledge so is minimal that I don't really know when Xv should or
should not be used...

Thanks,
Daniel