HDMI audio on Intel G45?

Magnus Hörlin magnus at alefors.se
Thu Sep 4 02:09:58 PDT 2008

Hi. I'm running ubuntu intrepid with xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.4.1 on intel
G45 (dg45fc) and so far it is working really well (including XV) so big
thanks to everyone involved in the development in xorg. However, I hear
different things about the possibility of getting HDMI audio on intel
hardware. Some say it works on G35 but I can't get this confirmed.
So, does anyone here know if it is supposed to work?. And if not, is anyone
working on it? Or is this just an ALSA question?
My problem is that my TV doesn't even play the analog audio input when I
connect it to the intel board through HDMI meaning I can't get any sound at
all. When I connect it to an nvidia IGP board through HDMI, the TV plays the
analog audio input so there is something different in the HDMI signal
between the intel and nvidia board. And with my amd IGP boards, digital HDMI
audio works.
Would it help to use a DVI-HDMI adapter to connect the DVI output of the
dg45fc to the tv's HDMI input? I mean, to get it to play the analog audio of
course. Or is the DVI data EXACTLY the same as the one on the HDMI port?

Thanks for any help,
/Magnus H