xf86-video-ati, problem on notebook Dell Vostro 1000 (linux x86_64)

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 00:56:28 PDT 2008

2008/9/5 Alexei Babich <a.babich at rez.ru>:
>> You need a newer release of -ati driver for that card.
>> Try getting 6.9.0 or -git.
> Thank you.
> Yesterday I try xf86-video-ati (archlinux packet "f86-video-ati 6.9.0-1") - works better, than 6.8.0-4.

as i've told you, the radeon driver is improving almost every day and
it's getting new functionality almost every moment. if you're with an
ati board you should have a look at phoronix or at the various devs
blogs for updates on the state of the driver. the latest improvements
for r400 boards (including your's) is the fix for the tv and the dvi
output. these fixes are available on deucher's personal git repo. so
if you're looking for it you might want to try that out. i personally
think that if you want to use the oss driver you should have it
compiled from git so that it could be always up to date, but if you
want to be on the stable branch i'd rather use the official driver
that seems to be much more faster and rich in terms of features. with
xorg-1.4 you should not have any problem by having both of them
installed. you just have to mask/unmask one of them and tell xorg
which to use. if you're interested i've got the xorg.conf with best
tune-up (best balance of speed and image quality) for both drivers
(dated 3 months ago) and i could post them out.

--
dott. ing. beso