Q about fastest display methode

Aleksandar Lazic al-xorg at none.at
Mon Sep 15 14:05:23 PDT 2008

Dear list members,

please apologise if this is the wrong list.

Please point me to the right one so that I don't create too much useless
noise, thanks.

I want to display some different Image- and Videoformats on different x
windows provided Linux distributions (Redhat Linux, SuSe Linux, gentoo
Linux, ...)

There are soooooo much libraries out there which provide some display
possibilities but I'am not sure which one fulfill the requirements.

I have thought about qt, gtk, wxwidgets, sdl and a lot of some others,
but I'am not sure which one is the 'best'.

I know this is not easy to answer and could be a reason for a flamewar
but please don't use my mail for such a useless discussion start ;-)

Please try to answer from objective point of view ;-)

1.) Does I only need the xorg libs or are this libs only for some basic
     routines and I need more high level libs to fulfill my requirements?

2.) Use the 'fastest' possible way to display n*streams similar on one
     or n monitors.

3.) Use as less resouces as possible

4.) Provide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay or similar
     fast technique

5.) I plan to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Performance_Library
     => http://framewave.sourceforge.net/ for decoding. Does anybody have
     used this lib or the ipp
     http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/perflib/302910.htm

6.) I think I don't need the 3D functions of the cards.

I'am relatively new to the X-Window environment and happy for any help
;-)

Many thanks to your answers.

Aleksandar Lazic