Raw mouse input is distorted

Søren Hauberg hauberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 04:29:58 PDT 2008

2008/9/19 Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de>:
> Søren Hauberg wrote:
>>
>> Can I somehow force the evdev driver to only accept absolute events?
>>
>> I'll see if I can find the time to look into fixing the issue, as I
>> guess it could be related to my problems. But like everybody else I'm
>> in lack of time, so I'm not sure if it'll be doable.
>
> Adding an option would make the problem solveable in HAL, which isn't the
> worst place of all. Should be trivial.
>
> If that's the issue, you should find both relative and absolute axes
> mentioned in your xorg log.

So, the problem turned out to be a poorly configured X server, which
caused the evdev driver not to load. Once this was fixed, only
absolute coordinates was reported and things just worked. Sorry to
have bothered you guys with this.

I do have a follow-up question (you can't get rid of me that easy :-)
). I have modified the 'usbtouchscreen' kernel module such that it can
use calibration parameters. With this in place, my touchscreen works
in X with the 'evdev' driver, i.e. out of the box. Do you guys think
this is the right approach to handling touchscreens in GNU/Linux, or
would you prefer an X driver for handling touchscreens? I plan on
posting the kernel patch to the kernel list on Monday unless anybody
here thinks the problem should be solved in X instead of the kernel.

Also, I have software for performing the calibration (which with these
changes requires root access, but doesn't require an X restart). I
plan on publishing this software once my boss gives me permission.
What is the right place to host such software?

Thanks,
Søren