Multiple Monitors, Same Workspaces

Clayton Shepard claydawg52 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 06:06:34 PDT 2008

I am assuming that this modification would have to be a collaborative effort
between X and GDM/KDE or whatever desktop manager is being used, but I
really do not know enough to say.  It may even have affects on the window
manager too...  hopefully you guys can tell me.

I filed this idea on Ubuntu's brainstorm a while back, but I would like to
hear the developers thoughts, and see if it is technically feasible.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11787/

Basically in a multiple monitor setup I would like each monitor to be a
viewport to the same instance of X and same set of workspaces.  Each monitor
could view any available workspace independently of the other monitors.  If
two monitors are displaying the same workspace then their views are cloned.
GDM and Compiz already handle windows larger than workspaces as well as
windows spanning workspaces which would make this setup very, very,
versatile.

I think the brainstorm has a more elaborate description; hopefully you
understand what I am trying to convey.

So I guess basically my question is what would it take to do this, and is it
possible?

Thanks,

-Clay