Building X

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Sep 19 10:52:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:28 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 09:45 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> > > At least when using the ugly grey stipple. If you're using -br, the
> > > missing-cursor plan seems reasonable. Otherwise, it makes debugging X
> > > server startup a bit harder.
> >
> > If you can come up with a way to distinguish 'started X by hand' from
> > 'machine's being slow, wm isn't started yet', then git is standing by
> > ready for patches.
>
> Just saying that if you ask for the ugly grey stipple, you should
> probably get the ugly X cursor too.

You don't "ask for" the stipple though.  It's the default.

The protocol, by the way, does _not_ mandate the stipple.  It says that
the initial contents are some unspecified two-color pattern made of
blackPixel and whitePixel.  There is a weasel argument here that having
zero white pixels still counts as "two color" I guess.  Even if you
don't like that argument, we are the keepers of the spec, there's no
reason we can't relax that requirement.

X -partylikeits1989 sounds just fine to me.

- ajax