OpenGL is free free free software

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Sep 22 08:48:39 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 13:50 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 17:54 +0100, David Gerard wrote:
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/148339
> >
> > SGI used their "or later" privilege to upgrade to the X11 licence. w00t!
>
> I've updated the server source in git to reflect FreeB 2.0.  Older
> servers are exactly as free now, you just have to be aware that FreeB
> got updated.
>
> I don't see an update to the GLX Public License yet though.  It's sort
> of implied in the press release that it's covered too, but the text here
> isn't changed:
>
> http://www.sgi.com/products/software/opensource/glx/license.html

My reading of the press release is that GLXPL-covered code is now
licensed under FreeB 2.0.  I've updated xserver and glproto to match.

In particular:

"Previous SGI contributions to the free and open source community are
now available under the new license. These contributions include the
SGI® OpenGL® Sample Implementation, the GLX™ API and other GLX
extensions."

"The new license", singular, clearly means FreeB 2.0.  All the GLXPL
code in xserver or glproto is clearly derived from the initial release
of the GLX API from:

http://www.sgi.com/products/software/opensource/glx/

There does not appear to be any GLXPL code in Mesa, or in any other X
module.

- ajax