Various patches

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Sep 24 08:31:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 15:53 +0100, John Tapsell wrote:

>   How would you feel about a SHA1 implementation in Xorg, but enabled
> only by a configure switch or as a fallback option?  This would mean
> that Xorg could finally be easily cross-compiled out of the box,
> bringing love and happiness to people everywhere :-)
>
>   An alternative would be to maintain a separate SHA1 library but
> still hosted by freedesktop.  It could be just another package that is
> included along with the xorg distribution.

I don't think X.org should be in the business of shipping
implementations of standard algorithms which should be supported by the
underlying system. It sounds like you're trying to fix a problem in the
available SHA1 providers by hacking at X.org instead of going to the
root of the problem.

We've been working fairly hard for the last several years to rip stuff
out of X.org that we cannot credibly support -- memory allocators,
dynamic loaders, a million string functions, etc. I'd prefer to continue
down that path until X.org offers just a window system and not half of
an operating system as well.

keith.packard at intel.com