Getting xorg-7.4 from git ?

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Fri Sep 26 14:48:28 PDT 2008

On 08:27 Fri 26 Sep     , Carl Worth wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 01:14 -0700, David Sharp wrote:
> > this could be made easier by tagging releases for the katamari with a
> > common tag, like "Xorg-7.4"
>
> And even easier with a super-module repository that would just need one
> tag. Didn't Zack even prototype such a thing once? Has anyone looked
> into how reasonable it would be to use such a thing for releases?
>
> I've heard some claim that the supermodule approach wouldn't work well
> for just tracking the latest development at the tip of all the master
> branches, but it sounds perfect for tracking releases.

When git folks added submodule support, somehow they managed to miss the
(obvious to me) use case of tracking all the submodule HEADs instead of
sticking to specific commits. It was even discussed in the thread where
the patch was proposed, and an early version of the patch did track
HEADs. If this is a blocker, it shouldn't be much work to add a flag for
it.

The whole submodule thing would be a lot more useful if it did both, and
people could bounce around between current HEAD, 7.4, 7.3, branches for
7.4.1, etc.

--
Thanks,
Donnie