Poll: Should Xorg change from using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to something harder for users to press by accident?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 05:23:04 PDT 2008

2008/9/23 Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4 at gmail.com>:

> Problem:  Many[1] users have killed X by accident.[2]
>
> Solution idea: Make it harder to kill X by accident.  E.g. you could
> change the key sequence users must press.
>   * Maybe require Control+Alt+Backspace then Control-Alt-Y.[3]
>   * Or require Control+K+X pressed simultaneously.
>
> What do you think?

Here is the problem. You are asking users who think (and subscribe to
computer-related mailing lists) to make a decision for non-thinking
computer users.

>  Should Xorg change this key sequence?  Please vote
> "yes" or "no".

No.

>  You can add comments too.  If you reply only to me by
> private mail, I will eventually summarize your reply to the list.

The key sequence is one that cannot be presses accidentally. There are
many easier ways to hurt oneself or lose data than this way. In fact,
I do not want to perform a quadruple bucky to reset my X server. The
Emacs users who have similar keyboard shortcuts can be assumed
competent enough for the sake of discussion to understand the
consequences of what they are doing. They are using Emacs, a program
that takes a non-minimal competency level to use.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il