accessing legacy(?) VGA input status register 1 on 945GM/xf86-video-intel

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Sep 29 10:19:50 PDT 2008

On Monday, September 29, 2008 4:52 am Theo Veenker wrote:
> Jesse Barnes wrote:

> >> Yes that's what I did. With the stock driver drm vblank would only work
> >> while running, for instance, glxgears. After the 'fix' I just need to
> >> run glxgears once and after that it works. I can live with that.

> >> Thanks for the info. Here is what I did. In i830_driver.c I830PreInit()
> >> below RestoreHWState() I added this:
> >>    xf86DrvMsg(pScrn->scrnIndex, X_WARNING, "HACK: setting
> >> VGA_PIPE_B_SELECT.\n"); OUTREG(VGACNTRL, pI830->saveVGACNTRL |
> >> VGA_PIPE_B_SELECT);
> >>
> >> Unfortunately the VGA input status register 1 bit 3 still reflects the
> >> retraces for the external VGA monitor, instead of the laptop's display
> >> panel. So this is problably not correct or I missed something.
> >>
> >> In Xorg.0.log I read "Output VGA is connected to pipe A" and "Output
> >> LVDS is connected to pipe B". Is there a way to swap them, how? And if
> >> so would it make a differrence; I mean is it actually possible to have
> >> the VGA input status register 1 connected to the LVDS?
> >
> > I think so, but given that we disable VGA mode during normal operation,
> > it may be that you need to have pipe B selected at some point *while* VGA
> > mode is active.  OTOH there may be other bits you need to set as well.
> > You could try searching the docs for the string "VGA" :)
>
> I'm afraid I'm clueless here as I am not comfortable with the internals of
> the driver. Do you mean I need to be running in VGA mode all the time, or
> do the VGA_PIPE_B_SELECT while temporarily in VGA mode?
> How would one achive that?

I'm not sure, you'd have to play around with it.

> > But if you just want to poll, there's also a bit in the PIPE*STAT regs
> > that indicates whether vblank is active, iirc.
>
> Thanks. I'm going to check that as well. From kernel space do I need to
> call mmap or pci_request_regions etc to gain access to these registers, or
> can I just access them at the MMIO base address + register offset?

They're part of the regular MMIO BAR on this chip, so if you already have that
region mapped you can just offset into it to get at the reg.  If you haven't
already ioremap'd, then yeah you'd have to do that (or just use pci_iomap to
get at the right BAR), then use the readX/writeX accessor functions on the
resulting pointer.