Help interpreting evdev error messages?

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 18:52:42 PDT 2009

My linux distribution (gentoo) just updated to xorg-server 1.5.3
and evdev 2.1.3.

I have it almost-but-not-quite working.  The keyboard works
correctly AFAICT and the mouse works except for emulate-wheel,
which was working before the update.

I see these errors from the X server:

(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: always reports core events
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGBIT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Mouse0"
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(EE) Keyboard0: No device specified.
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Keyboard0"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: always reports core events
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found 5 mouse buttons **WRONG**
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
(II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Configuring as mouse
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,**WRONG**
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer
Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
(type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

I have this in xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
     Driver         "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier     "Mouse0"
     Driver         "evdev"
     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
     Option         "EmulateWheel" "True"
     Option         "EmulateWheelButton" "8"  <---NOTE
EndSection

As you can see, EmulateWheel is broken because the button has
the wrong value, I'm guessing because the evdev module was un-
loaded for some reason.

I have CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y in my kernel config.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!