Documentation?

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:13:32 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 01:19, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le Mar 7 avril 2009 22:41, Mark Wagner a écrit :
>
>> Thanks.  Is there any documentation on the best way to do various
>> high-level tasks, such as drawing images?
>
> As already discussed, for higher-level tasks you'll be better of going
> through a higher-level library such as cairo.
>
> cairo is not listed proeminently as an X component, because it also
> works on non-X systems but it is a core library for anything doing GUI
> stuff under X nowadays (with the exception of QT apps, but QT has a
> wider scope than cairo)

How standard is Cairo?  The proof-of-concept app from 15 years ago
still works fine because it's only got two dependancies: Xlib and
libc.  It works everywhere for the same reason.  If I added Cairo as a
dependancy, would apps still work on 100% of Linux systems, and would
they still work unmodified 15 years from now?

--
Mark Wagner