Documentation?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Apr 9 08:47:33 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 16:20 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > And in the past, we never had the viewing distance in X11's design: our
> > presumption was then always desktop monitors, viewed at the "usual"
> > desktop distance).  It is entirely missing from the core protocol.
>
> One problem is that this is application dependant. I will be at "normal
> viewing distance" for typing and editing. However I suspect I am not
> alone in having other apps (eg the mail status icon, movie players, ...)
> that I view with the chair further away (working on other parts of the
> desk) or when walking past the display from a distance
>
> Nor I suspect will tracking help this - a display that zooms based on
> user distance is probably going to induce motion sickness rather than joy

As I said, "at best an approximation", both for the reasons I stated,
and the ones you have also pointed out.

Think of the display wall case; I may want a control panel I use when
I'm close up, though I'm working with many others all over the room for
most applications.  So the viewing distance is useful for the default
behavior of applications, but we'll still need to be able to over-ride
it.

                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>