Griffin Powermate evdev setup

Phil Endecott spam_from_xorg at chezphil.org
Tue Apr 28 08:00:42 PDT 2009

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Phil Endecott
> <spam_from_xorg at chezphil.org> wrote:
>> Peter Hutterer wrote:

>>> This option isn't supported anymore.
>>
>> OK.  I think something like this is needed, though.  If you have an
>> application that actually "knows" about the dial axis that's fine, but
>> in most cases you'll want to do some sort of mapping.  I don't see any
>> mention of the mouse scroll wheel in the new evdev man page; how is
>> that managed?
>
> Read the description for EmulateWheel in evdev(4).

Ah OK - I don't have that in my (Debian packaged) man evdev, so I guess
it's a recent addition.  My man page claims to be version 2.0.8.
EmulateWheel is what I have for my real mouse so it should do what I
need.  (I do sometimes wonder whether more apps now work with a
non-emulated wheel; when I scroll Firefox with my emulated wheel (or
the Powermate on the old machine) it would take ages to catch up.  I
should try it.  Maybe I need some hack so that some apps see the
emulated events and others see axis events.)

>> Event: time 1240909109.149823, type 2 (Relative), code 7 (Dial), value -1
>> Event: time 1240909109.149839, -------------- Report Sync ------------
>> Event: time 1240909109.357821, type 2 (Relative), code 7 (Dial), value 1
>
> Is -1 turning the dial to the left and +1 turning the dial to the right?

Yes.

Cheers,  Phil.