Old System, New Install Isuue

James Butler jbutler at uniteddefensegroup.com
Wed Apr 29 12:58:24 PDT 2009

xinit) were

CRTs.

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/headless/ ?

> > Magnus, headless sounds ideal. Unfortunately, a
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError gets thrown when I invoke headless
> > with the current applet. No doubt because the applet is completely
> > unaware of headless, and would need to be rewritten to use it, at
> > least in parts. Bummage.
> >
> > Thank you very much for the suggestion.
> >
> > James

I have installed and initialized Xvfb and the applet starts
successfully. For the record:

Install (v.6.8.2-37 on FC4):
yum install xorg-x11-Xvfb

Initialize:
Xvfb :1 -ac -screen 0 1024x768x8

Xvfb has issues with 32-bit depths, but it doesn't matter for this so
I'm using 8-bit. I chose display #1 to avoid issues with installed
drivers that might want to hang onto :0.

Update DISPLAY environment variable:
DISPLAY=:1.0

That's it. Thank you all for your help.

James