xcalibrate

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Tue Aug 11 00:01:20 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:00:45AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> > The fact that there is no release available and it's not in build.sh
> > lets me assume that it is dead.
>
> indeed.

In order to avoid further dumb questions on my side: is there an
established release / versioning policy for x.org? Something like

- released versions are supposed to work/compile
- released versions are supposed to compile if their explicit
  dependencies (via pkg-config) are fulfilled
- versions in rev. x.y are supposed to work with other versions with
  whatever version scheme

Some words about the background: I'm curretly updating the x.org support
in ptxdist, which was previously based on the official 7.2 release. The
reason is that we have more and more embedded systems with x86 CPUs,
both in our commercial projects at Pengutronix and in the ptxdist
community (all recipies are public - ptxdist is licensed under the GPL).

So following our "send-patches.org" strategy (if something doesn't work,
try the latest-and-greatest from upstream and improve *that* instead of
random hackery on old stuff), I've naively started to take all latest
released versions of all packets from the server, updated the ptxdist
recipies and tried to build that.

In contrast to the build.sh script, ptxdist has full configuration
support. So we have almost all --enable/disable switches in Kconfig
menues; in the end, we make embedded systems which need full
configurability.

My experience so far is that, in contrast to the last try two years ago,
x.org has massively turned to the better. However, there are still some
things where we trap into dependency hell, sometimes even not
resolvable. One example is that if I update xext (lib+proto) to the
latest release, I cannot build xorg-server any more. Downgrading it
results in several other versions which have to be downgraded as well.

So I'm wondering: is this a bug worth to be reported? Should I try some
git head for xorg-server which works with the latest xext? I checked the
xorg-server head, but it doesn't seem to be linear, so I'm wondering how
close to the next release it would be if I tried that. Being more an
integration person than an xorg developer, I don't want to build
everything from the git heads (that's probably what the maintainers do),
but only selected components.

However, suggestions are welcome. I'd like to help that our activities
make xorg better.

rsc