X using 95% CPU (intel, latest git)

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Fri Aug 14 08:23:44 PDT 2009

Carl Worth schrieb:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 06:01:34PM -0400, Andy Neitzke wrote:
>> My problem is that frequently, even when the system should be idle, KDE's CPU
>> monitor applet shows that one of the two processors is fully loaded.  When
>> this happens, "top" blames the X process, showing it using around 95% CPU.
>> My question is:  how can I diagnose this problem more precisely?  (Is it
>> a symptom of an Xorg bug, or could it that some part of KDE is issuing an
>> enormous number of requests to the X server for some reason?)
>
> Could be either. The next step would be to use a profiler, (such as
> sysprof or oprofile), to find out what functions are eating up all of
> the CPU.
>
> -Carl

Hi Andy,
you can start a pure X simply bei starting X (see man X) on the commandline.
That should give a an impression if the server/driver (aka X11) is responsible
or something other, later in the food chain.

Next you can try with an application (xterm), then a simple WM (twm or), and see what
will happen, perhaps the effekt is related to an special option like 3d functions ...

re,
 wh