Exiting X causes console to flash violently after using xscreensaver or xrandr

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:08:06 PDT 2009

Hi, list

I'm trying to isolate a bug relating to exiting X and (possibly)
console drivers.
 I initially thought the problem was specific to OpenSolaris and
(K)(X)ubuntu on the machine in question, but now I've experienced it
on FreeBSD, which is where I am beginning
to really hit a wall.

A short synopsis of the problem is: "anything that tries to query /
manipulate Xorg causes the console to flash when exiting X, as if the
console refresh rate or resolution was drastically incorrect."

The laptop [1] I recently purchased has a 16" screen at 1366x768
resolution.  (dmesg output listing the graphics information is below.)
 I do not use gdm, xdm, or kdm, so I 'startx' to get Fluxbox
running.  My $HOME/.xinitrc is minimal, using xset to disable the
xterm bell, and starting sysutils/conky.

The only common factor between the three OSes I've seen this behavior
is xscreensaver or xrandr.  After thinking it was specific to
xscreensaver, I disabled it, and wanted to check the refresh rate -
which is how I found xrandr causes it as well.

Any thoughts on how to isolate the cause of this would be appreciated,
because the flickering and flashing experienced is most probably bad
for the LCD.  Thanks in advance.

%dmesg | grep vga
vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> port 0x5110-0x5117 mem
0xd0000000-0xd03fffff,0xc0000000-0xcfffffff irq 16 at device 2.0 on
pci0
agp0: <Intel GM45 SVGA controller> on vgapci0
vgapci1: <VGA-compatible display> mem 0xd3500000-0xd35fffff at device
2.1 on pci0
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
drm0: <Mobile Intel\M-B\M-. GM45 Express Chipset> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster

[1] - http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L500/L505-S6946

--
Glen Barber