Radeon KMS not working

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Mon Aug 31 00:31:04 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 10:26 -0700, ravi at p-static.net wrote:
> I've been working on a Radeon KMS setup since yesterday, and I've finally
> got it to the point where nothing works at all. :) At this point, the
> error I get is that when I try to start X, video card tops outputting any
> signal at all, and I get the following lines in my /var/log/messages a few
> dozen times a second:
>
> [drm:radeon_ib_schedule] *ERROR* radeon: couldn't schedule IB(5).
> [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Faild to schedule IB !
>
> I'm using linux-2.6.31-rc8, and mesa, xorg-server, and xf86-video-ati from
> git checkouts from yesterday, as well as git versions of a few other
> libraries (I can provide exact versions and revision numbers for
> everything if necessary, but I don't know what all is relevant right now).
>
> Normally I'd assume it's a transient issue, since I'm running several
> things from git, but [1] indicates that people have been seeing this same
> error for several months now.
>
> [1]: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=77860&postcount=8

These errors message are irrelevant, somethings went wrong before those
error. Please open a bug on
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DRI

Attach full dmesg after boot with kms enabled and also output of
lspci -v -nnxxx

> Also, I tried disabling KMS in the kernel once I got everything installed
> (radeon.modeset=0 as a kernel parameter), hoping that everything would
> fall back on the old code paths and work again - unfortunately, it still
> crashed immediately. Should I have expected this to work?

Should disable modesetting, so it seems you have an issue with git
nonKMS path too. Does console work (booting in init 3) ? Again you
should open a different bug for that.

Cheers,
Jerome