radeonhd blank screens

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 21:14:48 PST 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009, Daniel Stone wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:14:31PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 07 December 2009, tsuraan wrote:
>> >These drivers sound seriously
>> >unloved.
>>
>> Yes, for the rv610 based cards in particular.  The guys have seemingly
>> danced all the way around it like its a pile of smelly poo.  Heck, Alex
>> promised me good drivers before Christmas.  2008 that is. ;)  This
>> (radeonhd-1.25) is usable, till the touchies start, then you may as well
>> reboot cuz that is the only thing that fixes it for a while.
>
>And does the problem occur with the radeon (not radeonhd) driver?

I have not checked recently Daniel.  The last time I did check, it was ok,
but radeon was refreshing the screen really slowly, making it difficult to
scroll in FF and similar apps.  I believe the ati module makes that choice,
but let me check the log, brb.

Hmmm, brb was a rather optimistic statement.  Switching /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
define the radeon driver instead of the radeonhd results in an x server crash
and no video from either output on the card, and is not recoverable with a
ctl-alt-bsp.  ctl-alt-del gets me a boatload of dirty inodes cleaned up
messages on the reboot too.   And once I had to use the hdwe reset to reboot
it, I tried it several times with the same no signal to the monitor results,
I'd guess at less than 500 milliseconds after I hit the return on  a startx.

So I am back on the radeonhd driver and things are hopefully back to as
normal as they usually are.

Is this helpful?

Thanks for the prod.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Any program which runs right is obsolete.