[Patch] Documenting pointer acceleration

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Fri Dec 11 06:54:11 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:24:20PM +0100, Simon Thum wrote:
> since some users complained about the absence of ptr accel from local
> docs, I made an attempt to update it a bit. It's not much, but I figured
>  that's better than nothing.

Thanks!  While we're on the topic of xinput documentation...

> I'm open to suggestions though, in particular, I'd like to know where
> people look first when they seek this kind of information.

When I installed xinput, the first thing I did was look at the man
page.  But it's nearly useless - all it really does is list how the
commands map onto API functions.  I don't know the XInput API, so most
of it doesn't mean anything to me.

> In general, is it reasonable to point to the wiki from a man page? That
> one's separate if the answer is no.

Yes, if the wiki page has some real explanation.  I'd be a definite
improvement.

All of my boxes have mice and pointsticks.  My laptop also has a
touchpad.  The xinput changes could have had real usability impacts
for me - I've been waiting a long time to be able to individually
adjust pointer acceleration per device.  User comprehensible docs
would be awesome.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie