[Xlib] Saving state before an unmap

Andrew Troschinetz ast at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 13 12:50:53 PST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Pat Kane wrote:

> Do either of these project help?
>      <http://standards.freedesktop.org/xembed-spec/xembed-spec-0.5.html
> >
>      <https://launchpad.net/libwnck>

Actually yes, I had originally looked at libwnck before I started
developing my solution. In fact much of my code looks very similar to
the source of libwnck simply by virtue of both codebases doing very
nearly the same sorts of things.  In the end though I decided to roll
my own solution because I needed to be able manipulate windows by
their WM_NAME and I needed to be able to manipulate things that
libwnck doesn't (like window decorations and such). I also only needed
a very small subset of the features offered by libwnck so rolling my
own solution, while re-inventing the wheel somewhat, was only re-
inventing a very small wheel ;)

I could probably use libwnck calls underneath the API of my codebase,
however it seems maybe safer having a library like mine that doesn't
rely on gtk/gdk to get its job done since we do have to deploy on
machines not running Gnome. In fact, we deliver source and that source
gets built on designated build machines not under our organization's
control. It's possible that those machines may not even have gtk/gdk/
libwnck installed, and it would be somewhat of a hassle to package
those things into our kit.

It's good to compare notes with the libwnck source though, that at
least is very helpful.

The XEmbed protocol looks interesting however I'm pretty sure the
Motif WM doesn't support it, just like it doesn't support the Extended
Window Manager Hints specification (though I really wish it would).

Unfortunately my current issue isn't solved by either of those
projects because it's outside their domain. Neither of those projects
deal with un-mapping and re-mapping windows to accomplish some task.

--
Andrew Troschinetz
Applied Research Laboratories