XRandR: Screen Rotation animation effect

Bipin George Mathew bipingm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 02:32:03 PST 2009

Corbin,

I agree that any transition effect belongs in the compositor. But we
have two exclusive methods here to achieve screen rotation
1) the windows are rotated by the compositor-the one thing to note
here is that the xserver currently does not allow mouse inputs to be
redirected, even if visually the windows are rotated.
2) the xserver itself does the rotation by talking to the driver
( using xrandr)

I guess the best way would be to show the transition using the
compositor and then use xrandr to do the rotation (if the driver issue
can be fixed and prevent the flicker as Keith pointed out).
Comments?