Drawing minimized windows

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 03:35:27 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 21:41 -0600, John Hamel wrote:
>> As I understand it this is a direct result of the minimized
>> windows not being drawn by X.
>
> 'minimized' is not a part of the window system, rather it's a window
> manager artifact. That window managers 'minimize' windows by unmapping
> them is not the fault of the window system.

Danny Baumann presented an interesting idea on the Compiz Fusion
forums for handling this within the server. The idea is that we split
Unmap into two an input-only unmap and a total unmap. We would also
have to add new events for these too. That would tell the application
'You're not mapped, but keep redrawing' and would also allow for other
WM's to unmap the window completely.

My personal opinion on the matter is that we should keep the normal
unmap calls, not add any new events and just not destroy the window
pixmap. The pixmap could be retrievable with a call to XComposite libs
or something. Then we can bind it to a texture from there.

Apps will need to change their behaviour to redraw on unmap though,
however that should be easy to do with most apps because they use
toolkits like GTK and QT to draw. Any app that doesn't keep redrawing
would just be a corner case broken app.

Cheers,

Sam

> --