Questions on How Xorg handle ACPI

sheldon aapril03 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:41:31 PST 2009

Hi:

I'm trying to find how Xorg handles ACPI (s3 and s4).  It seems that Xorg
handles S3/S4( suspend and resume) is just the same as it process VT
switching, for both the flow is WaitFofSomething( )-> WakeUpHandle( ) ->
xf86Wakeup( ) -> xf86VTswitch( ) .

Question 1. Is any different between Xorg handle S3/S4 and VT Switching?

I notice lnxACPIOpen will test connection to " /var/run/acpid.socket " , can
be seen in Xorg.0.log :

ACPI: OSPMOpen called

ACPI: Opening device

(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)

BUT, xf86HandlePMEvents( ) is never called (I'm using Ubuntu8.10, Xorg 1.5.2
–- a debug version ,compiled by myself). In my system S3/S4 is OK in both
console and X.

Question 2. I don't know why, Is Xorg don't need to read ACPI Events ? or
using some other methods

Thanks