2 Questions: recompile xorg sources + xorg git

KAMALNEET SINGH kamalneet.s at samsung.com
Wed Feb 18 02:30:04 PST 2009

 > My first question: I'm building "x" from git with the tiny little script from http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git
> (at bottom of the page). I've got several "older" (like 1-2 months) builds running, which means the xserver starts up.
> If i want to recompile the sources on another machine I copy the src folder, change the PREFIX and PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> in the script and start the build process.

Do a "git clone" instead of direct file copying.. If for any reason
you want to re-use the stuff you downloaded on first machine, change
the git repository base URL in the build script, from freedesktop.org,
to the place on your first machine. git is a truly distributed SCM system!

> The problem is: the server doesn't start on the other machine
> (which is technically identical to the one which runs the server successfully).
> /var/log/ says: couldn't get lock for "/home/fl0/mpxsomething/var/log/Xorg.2.log" which actually is a path from the
> original machine. I thought recompiling the sources should handle this..."make clean" doesn't solve this.

"make distclean" should.. does it help?

> I hope this question is not too trivial, but I cannot explain this...
>

> Second question: How do I reset all components of my local git copy (like: libXdamage,libXi,hal,mesa etc...) to
> a specified date? "git -show" gives me the date-hash for a single module...Is there a way to checkout EVERYTHING
> from a specified date?

valid use-case.. But I doubt that there is a straight-forward way..
There was some talk of creating a git superproject for all modules,
but I don't know if it has happened, and if it helps do this..

~kammal